Sunday, April 3, 2011

Adventures in Job-land!

Hey Everyone! I decided to wait until Rifampin was out of my system a bit more before making this post. :) I have realized that it kind of messes with my emotions which is why you had the "life is terrible" post last week. Boy can medicine and Lyme do crazy things! It was kind of a stressful week as I had my first interview, and then I have had a ton of school work. Needless to say by Friday, I probably wasn't so pleasant to be around. My guess is that is putting it nicely which is why I write the posts and not Brian, ha! Lyme-wise things are pretty much the same. I have definitely stabilized on the oral azithromycin. Praise the Lord! I haven't noticed any decrease in cognitive issues, in fact, I think I have improved a bit.

I just finished writing the most difficult section of my graduate research project. It was the part where I had to pull all my collected data together and report my findings. Seems pretty simple, but it was actually really hard. I didn't realize I had collected so much data, until I went to write the report and condense it into an 11 page document. The final paper is due in 2 weeks, and then I will be posting it on my project blog. It will be great to have this project done! Then, I have one more big project and two papers in my other class, and this semester will finally come to a close. I can see the end in sight! After that, I have about a month break, and then I have my final class of the degree. I will graduate in August. I can't believe I am almost done with my graduate degree! So exciting!

This past week, I interviewed for a recruiter assistant/office admin position with a pharmaceutical recruiting company. This is a virtual job, so I can do it out of my home. I know it's not in my area as far as education and e-learning, but the qualifications she is looking for really match up with my work experience. She does want to expand her training program, so there is a possibility I would be able to use my degree eventually. I have to say that this whole journey with this job opportunity has been an adventure. For my initial resume submission, I had to answer three essay questions. Then, once I passed that stage, I had to fill out a profile form. This form ended up being 9 pages typed (single-spaced). No Joke!!! Brian kept asking me why in the world I was going through all of this for a part-time job. He told me his auditing application wasn't even this extensive. I don't know what made me press on, but I submitted that on Monday. Then, on Tuesday, I found out I passed the next stage and moved onto my interview which was Wednesday night.

The interview was quite interesting. I definitely don't have direct experience with recruiting and the pharmacy industry, so there were questions that I couldn't answer. I don't think I have ever been in an interview before where I honestly couldn't answer about 4 to 5 questions. So, at the end of the interview, I mentioned my knowledge gap and asked her how she would train me. I think that kind of surprised her. That was me being assertive. :) After I got off the call, I told Brian that I didn't think this was for me. The knowledge gap was kind of overwhelming, and I felt like the interviewer had high expectations of what I should know on day one if I was going to get this job. I am always pretty realistic about my abilities, so I wrote her an e-mail and told her I didn't think it was a good fit. She wrote me back and asked me to reconsider. I was pretty shocked! She told me that her current assistant didn't have a recruiter or pharmacy background either. In addition, she wanted me to talk to her current assistant to get a better idea if I would like the position. So, I called her assistant and absolutely loved her! After talking to her, I realized that this job was something I would be able to do, and for the first time I REALLY wanted it. Before, I was okay either way, but that phone call definitely made me want the position.

The owner had some more interviews the rest of the week, so she said she would know more after they were done. Friday evening, I got an e-mail saying I was one of the top finalists. I heard from a couple people that she was calling my references. So, that's where I stand. It's been a bit crazy from the beginning, but I think I would be really good at this job. It starts out as a part-time position, but eventually moves to full-time as I learn the position and if I perform well. So, if you could just be praying that God's will would be done, I would appreciate it. I would love the opportunity to earn more for my family each month. I would also love to be able to use my degree in some capacity and to be able to work and help people. However, I want to make sure that this is God's idea and not my own. I have also applied for two positions at a company that I am very interested in, but I haven't heard anything for now. It's waiting time! I am SOOOO not good at this. :P I will hopefully find out something soon!

Now onto my wonderful husband! I have to brag a bit. :) He passed the second section of the CPA exam. Whoohoo!! We found out on Friday. He scored another 85 which is amazing. Most people barely pass the CPA exam, but not my husband. He is super smart! I am so proud of him! I am in awe of how well he does with everything he is balancing. He has to run the entire household. He is also working on finishing a college class along with studying for the CPA exam. AMAZING! His work is going extremely well too. He just found out that another auditor is leaving, so that means he is going to be taking over a lot of his auditing jobs. He will be acting as the Senior! We are hoping an official promotion will come this summer. We shall see what God does! Brian ~ I love you! I am so proud of how well you are doing even with all of our life pressures! You are an incredible husband, and I thank the Lord every day for you! <3

Well, that is it for now. I just booked our hotel for our San Francisco trip in May. I am super excited to go and actually meet my doctor. It will be nice to meet with him instead of working with the PA and ND. They are nice, but the doctor has so much knowledge and wisdom. I am excited to hear what he thinks our next step should be! School is kind of crazy for the next few weeks, so I probably won't have a chance to update until next weekend. However, I promise to let you know what happened with the job. :) Please pray! It would be an awesome opportunity! I hope you have a great week! Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. You guys are both doing so great - good for you!!

    If you need a place to stop for a break on your SF trip in May, you know where we live!!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like. We would love to hear from you! God Bless!