Monday, September 7, 2009

UPDATE from Last Blog Post (Two weeks off but an URGENT prayer request for my family!)

I am going to leave our update about my lyme treatment below, but I am going to update you on my Dad's situation.

He is doing much better, Praise the Lord! He is being released from the hospital today. He does have to have a picc line insterted so that he can continue to receive IV antibiotics for the next 3 weeks at home. We are so thankful that the infection in his arm finally started to respond to the antibiotics. I was teasing him asking him if he was sure he didn't have Lyme Disease as I told him that he is experiencing a lot of what my friends w/ Lyme Disease have to go through (picc line, IV antibiotics etc.). I told him he needs to take those probiotics! :) They did get the results back and the staph infection he has is called MSSA. It's milder than MRSA which is the one that is resistent to antibiotic therapy. We are just so thankful that they were able to get on top of it before it went into his blood stream/organs. Yay Jesus! He is our healer!!

Below is the same update that I wrote in my last blog post...Nothing has changed for us. Going to do lab work tomorrow and then will be waiting for the results. I am going to leave the post below in case anyone hasn't seen it. We will update when we hear something from my doctor.

Now onto our update....Sunday, was our last day of taking antibiotics. This time we had to add one more. I started out the morning pretty good (that is such a relative term these days). Got up and took my first large dose of amoxicillin. I think I have mentioned before, I am also on a quite a few drugs to calm down my autonomic nervous system as that is where the Lyme Disease bacteria has taken up residence. Those drugs have helped immensely with the flushing, irregular (racing) heart and temperature regulation among other things. Since they do have a tremendous sedentary effect, I do have to space out when I take all of them. After my large dose of amoxicillin, I waited about 1 1/2 hours to take the rest of my medication. This was the first time I had done this and boy was that a mistake. My system freaked out and I was getting flushing reactions every 5 minutes. It was awful. I was SO nauseous and my heart rate was going crazy. I was hot and sweating, but I was SO chilled that I was shaking. After that reaction, there is no doubt in our mind that the drugs are fighting the Lyme bacteria. I took my other medication and it took about 2 hours before everything calmed down. I was worried it would happen again in the evening (not totally realizing that my other medication prevents it) but praise the Lord, I was able to take all of my other antibiotics (including the new one) without any trouble. I have to add a side note and say that Flagyl (the new medication I added) makes everything smell and taste like those hard candy cinnamon discs. Kind of a strange, lol. Now I am on my "drug holiday" as they call it. No more antibiotics for two weeks. Yay! I also have still not been able to be up very much w/out getting symptoms. I do okay for about 15 to 30min but then have to sit or lay down. Hopefully, that will get better in the next week. If you would just please pray that when I do my labs tomorrow, that the blood work will come back normal (kidney, liver enzymes etc.) so that we can continue with therapy in the future.


Thank you so much for your prayers. Life certainly does have it's unexpected bumps but these bumps always give us more opportunity to trust in God's provision and protection.

1 comment:

  1. HI Dawn
    I wanted to stop by and read your blog....get to "know" your stories. I am so glad NAET has been going well for you and helping. It ahs helped me some, but not as fast as I would like.
    Hope your time off of meds goes okay. It is a long journey, a marathon as they say....
    God be with you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like. We would love to hear from you! God Bless!