Sunday, September 27, 2009

Last day of this med segment!

Sorry I haven't been able to write until today. I have saved until today to update, but I have to admit that today is the worst I have felt. These antibiotics are SO potent. I can feel them take affect about 1 1/2 hours after I swallow them. I dread it, but know I need to push through to get better.

Before I update you how my treatment week is going, I want to mention a couple of prayer requests. Last week, I received an e-mail forward about my LLMD, Dr. Jemsek and his family. As you know already, Dr. J is having to move his practice. No one really knows for sure as to the exact reason why, but everyone is guessing it has to do w/ the politics of Lyme disease and the fit some state's medical boards throw in regards to treatment. However, again, that is not fact, that is only my guess. Anyways, in this e-mail it said that Dr. J is facing some really difficult family issues on top of everything else. The second week in September, his wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and as if that isn't hard enough to deal with, one week later his 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia. I can't imagine what that family is going through. It seems to me that they are getting attacked on all sides. We really need to surround that family with prayer and protection. Dr. Jemsek does so many wonderful things for patients all over the world.

Okay, now on to the update. We started on Wednesday. The dizziness, nausea, aches came by evening (starting to be a normal pattern). I started developing painful sores in my mouth and throat which we think was caused by the antibiotics killing off too much "good" bacteria, but weren't sure at that time. I cut out all sugar and lowered my carb intake (that's hard to do when you can only eat about 20 things) as suggested by what I read on the internet and my wonderful Lyme Disease friends through the website "Lyme Friends" (the "bad" bacteria feeds off of sugar, so if you can starve them, they will die). I also swallowed Baking Soda and it actually did the trick. Thursday morning they were gone. I did sleep very good Wednesday night which is such a change from when I am not on antibiotics. It's nice to get a break from the insomnia. I know I haven't talked about that before, but on a normal night, I sleep about 3-4 hours of the 10 hours I lay there. Lyme will do that to you and it's exhausting. I have spent most of my time in bed since Wednesday, watching movies, doing school work and talking on the phone when I am up for it.

Friday was another drug day. Praise the Lord, I made it to my lab appointment. I was a little concerned as I couldn't be up very long without feeling like I was going to pass out, however God was good and I made it through. Thank goodness those lab techies are quick! I have run a low-grade fever off and on which isn't fun, but another sign it's working. I also have been having a lot of trouble with my heart rate being elevated and beating forcefully. We know we are fighting the Lyme in my autonomic nervous system, so currently I am just pushing through. We are hoping it doesn't get too bad where we have to switch meds.

Today will be my last drug day and then two weeks off. I started reacting to the double dose of probiotics today so we are going to have to figure out something else to do. I seem to tolerate one dose fine, but the second I get a small reaction. Nothing huge or dangerous, just more annoying. Hopefully, it will go away as I adjust to the dose. Today is rough. My biggest drug day and the day where I get the most symptoms. I won't go into the crazy list, but would just appreciate your prayers today and tomorrow.

Finally, this is the big week where we find out what interviews Brian has been accepted to in regards to his job hunt. The interview process uses the University of Arizona Career Services. No news yet and one of the sign-ups starts tomorrow. That career site has had some tech issues, and one of them was a couple of hours before Brian submitted all his applications. It is showing as pending application status for all of the companies, but Brian is going to double check tomorrow to make sure everything is A-okay on their side. Please be praying that he gets selected for some of these interviews as Brian really liked some of these companies and he really needs to get an accounting job by January even in this horrible economy. We are believing God for big things and know He will provide! Please pray that God would open the doors He wants to open as far as employment opportunities.

Well, I need to go lay down and rest. Thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. We're praying!!!! Hang in there!

    Love,

    Mom and Dad D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it so awful how much medicine is affected by money and politics. I am involved with trying to get more opportunities for women to birth in my state, and it's sad how politics and money stand in the way! Docs often say it's for "safety" but there's a lot of data out there that shows that having a baby at a birth center or a home with a trained midwife has just as good if not better outcomes for mom and baby. Anyway, what a pity medicine should be about helping people get and stay well, not about somebody's pocketbook, or other motives. Thanks for the update. Been thinking about you and wondering how it's going. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like. We would love to hear from you! God Bless!