Thursday, August 6, 2009

Happy Weekend! I hope everyone gets a chance to rest and relax this weekend! I can't believe we are a week into August. "Back to School" is coming soon! :0)

I will do non-medical as that always seems to be more fun. :) Last Friday, I (Dawn) got an e-mail letting me know I was accepted into the University of Colorado graduate program to begin working towards a Master of Arts in E-Learning Design and Implementation. I was ecstatic! I have since registered and classes will begin August 17th. I will be taking one class (six credit hours) at CU and then will also be taking one class (3 credit hours) at my alma mater, UNK. The UNK course is so that I can keep my NE teaching certificate active. I don't want to let it lapse in case some day I am able to teach in a brick and mortar classroom again, Lord willing!! We do have a prayer request for both colleges. We are in the middle of getting set-up with disability services an academic accommodation plan because of my illness. It was suggested to us to get one just in case it is needed for assignment adjustments or extensions. We have started the process, but it's a lengthy one. Please pray that my physician will respond quickly with his documentation and that it will be approved!

I just asked Brian if he wanted to update anything on the blog and he said "Nope, just plugging away." :0) He is such a trooper! I have such a wonderful husband. God has truly blessed me with such a gift. I have to brag and give you an example. Just today, as it was a rough day for me symptom-wise, he said I should put together an easy to follow cookbook so that he can cook for me when I get very ill in the coming months. How awesome is that!! He does start his last semester of school at the University of Arizona on August 24th. This will be a busy semester for him with searching for a job and interviewing on top of doing course work and working a part-time job.

Now onto the medical update...I am on my third week of medication and hanging in there. I have encountered many unpleasant side effects on these medications and just when I seem to adjust, we have to increase the dosage or add another one. I do have to praise God for a good day on Tuesday. I was able to go to Wal-mart to get school supplies for about 25min! It was nice to have a break from the dizziness, nausea, and strange nerve sensations in my face and arms. However, we added another medication yesterday and everything seems to be back along with a racing heart and flushing reactions. It is also causing my allergic reactions to food to increase. My physician is trying to calm my nervous system down, but this last medication seems to be doing the opposite and causing more problems. A call to the doctor will be in order for Monday. Please pray that my food limitations don't get dwindled down too much. I am already at a low amount of choices. I am hoping that when I stop this new drug, things will up right themselves. I still have about 3 supplements to try before we start antibiotics. I am encouraged that we have only had an issue with one medication and one supplement out of all the ones I have tried already. God is good!

Some of these drugs are quite humorous to be on as I try to communicate and end up leaving words out of sentences or can't for the life of me find a particular word that I am trying to say. Brian is getting very good at finishing my sentences for me. We tried to play boggle a day ago and I think I had 10 words and Brian had 26. That is not like me! Since Lyme for me has taken root in my autonomic nervous system, we tend to think it's more the drugs, however lyme can always affect you cognitively. We are praying that the Lord keeps the bacteria contained in the one part of my brain.

Our goal for right now is to start the tough drugs on August 17th. I added up the amount of antibiotics I will be on and per day I will be taking 5000mg. Crazy! I remember how much pain and horrible Lyme symptoms I had on 1500mg of amoxicillin. If you could begin praying for my toleration of the large antibiotic doses and a probiotic that I must take that will replace the good bacteria in my system that the drugs will destroy. Also please pray that I stay safe and reaction free. These are huge doses to have in your system and then to react to them would be very dangerous. This will begin the hard part of this journey. This will be the first time we start fighting the disease.

In the coming weeks, you will most likely hear me reference the term "herx". "The Herxheimer reaction (also known as Jarisch-Herxheimer or Herx) occurs when large quantities of toxins released into the body as bacteria (typically Spirochetal bacteria) die, due to antibiotic treatment or rapid detoxification." This definition taken out of wikipedia and the link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herx. Since Lyme bacteria is a spirochete, it causes this reaction. This "herx" is the cause of so much pain and the horrible escalation of all of the Lyme symptoms. However, it is also how you know the medication is working! So in a way, the herx reaction is a good sign, it's just hard to endure.

Well, this post is long enough. God continues to use all of you to encourage us during a time of such uncertainty. Thank you for your prayers! God is using them in mighty ways! We will update soon!!


1 comment:

  1. Hang in there girl! Definitely praying and thinking of you often.

    Trisha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog! Feel free to leave a comment if you would like. We would love to hear from you! God Bless!